Last night I attended Wakefield’s Business Awards 2015 #wakebiz2015 and I was delighted to awarded ‘Business Person of the Year’.
Why does this award mean so much to me?
- I was brought up in Wakefield, live in Wakefield, my business School Speakers is based in Wakefield and I am very proud to be part of the city & it’s ever growing successes.
- The winner of the award is chosen by the appointed judges Joanne Roney and Sir Rodney Walker whom I both admire greatly for their personal achievements. Joanne for making history as the first female Chief Executive of Wakefield Council and Sir Rodney for his standout contribution to Le Grand Tour 2014. If it wasn’t for him Yorkshire would have never received the funding to run the race.
- I am often speaking and hosting awards events so for once it was wonderful to attend as a guest in the brilliant Unity Works venue, enjoy the evening and the cherry on the cake was receiving the award – it was a complete surprise! Wakefield has an abundance of business talent so I was honoured to be selected.
- Reality TV often receives bad press with negative role models who have little contribution to anything. I hopefully show that I have used the recognition I gained by taking part on The Apprentice to inspire and motivate young people to raise their aspirations. I’m proud to be a social entrepreneur, setting up an organisation which helps others.
- As a young woman with a 3 year old daughter I work hard on my work/life balance. I am often asked how I do it all? Simple answer is that I work very hard, get up early and have great support from my School Speakers and my Mum. I’m a great believer of ‘where there is a will there is a way’ and if I want to do something I set a goal and work towards it. There is a lot to be said for getting off your backside and working hard. Women can have a career AND a family and more success stories need to share this to inspire the next generation.
Congratulations to all the winners from last night’s awards, it was a great evening organised by the Wakefield Express. Thank you to everyone who was involved and I am looking forward to 2016 awards.